Gesellschaft der Freunde der Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek
Special offer for 2012
In the best company: For more than 90 years the members of the “Gesellschaft der Freunde der Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek” have been supporting the affairs of the country’s biggest library both financially and morally. Their support makes an important contribution to the conservation of the cultural treasure chest of Austria and one of the most important libraries in the world.
The association was founded in 1921 by Hugo von Hofmannsthal and the actress of the Burg Theatre Hedwig Bleibtreu to promote the Library, its conservation, and its growth. Since then its members have financed the purchase and conservation of objects, supported conservation measures, and made available means for an up-to-date performance for the public.
Members meet at the Austrian National Library at openings of exhibitions, conversations with experts, tours guided by curators, and behind-the-scenes events.
Members (EUR 50 a year) enjoy many-sided advantages in an unusual ambience:
- free admission to the State Hall, the Papyrus, Globe, and Esperanto Museums and to all special exhibitions
- free use of all reading rooms and services that are not subject to special conditions
- invitations to openings of exhibitions and other events
- participation in the exclusive program for friends
- 15 per cent „members‘ concession“ on all catalogues
- a yearly subscription to the magazine of the Austrian National Library
- lower admission prices to all partner museums
As promoters (EUR 300 a year) friends receive in addition:
- a transferable member’s ticket to all four museums
- a catalogue of exhibitions each year
- mention by name on the homepage
- an invitation to a yearly reception by the Director General
The Austrian National Library is happy to welcome you as a new member. Further information on membership here (in German).